Sunday, May 16, 2010

Psylocke's damage (pt. 2.)

Now this entire post pertains to the sim.
I have the role of Psylocke again after a while of either being away or being Polaris because Psylocke was filled.
The previous post was crazy for me.
We are supposed to play these characters as they are in the comics. Which I totally support! & I know Betsy Braddock soo well haha. When Claremont writes her her actual character comes through, regardless if it's before the body-swap, or after, with Marvel only allowing him to work within those confines.
Anyway, if I were to play her as the character she was written to become in the 90s, the only reason for any of it being "diversity" & most importantly "sex appeal" (as well as that ninja kewl factor), I would be playing just that. & I'd be insulting my favorite character haha.

I do adore her powerset once she was brought back to life, but of course Marvel would not let anyone turn her back to British because they needed to bank on the "cool sexy psychic Asian ninja" thing they had her as during the 90's boom.
Again, the body swap does not bug me compared to the many ludicrous reasons (listed above & in the other post) it was done. As well as the missed opportunities for greatness in stories & development (mentioned in previous post).

Now I could think of reasons to rationalize all the Marvel-forced "kewl ninja cheesecake" things that Betsy's been through, like I used to. But that woudn't be very fun haha.

My options/idea's, ways to go with the character, are here:
~ What if Jamie brought her back, in the British body? & development followed where she relied more on her powers, & less on physical combat. Perhaps her many times almost dying (as well as the new chance on life) would give her this perspective of "trying it out this way"?
~ What about the Earth X version of Betsy? Well not the Earth X version, but based on it. Where she never switched bodies with Kwannon? She kept training with Merlyn & Roma in the use of her powers & also magical powers, but we don't know anything else really about her, except that her butterfly aura is always on. What about her? ( http://marvel.wikia.com/Elizabeth_Braddock_(Earth-9997) ) ,This option is ruled out, talked to GMs.
~ My third idea is to just play as Betsy who was brought back from the dead by Jamie Braddock (her brother), as in the comics, in her "Asian" form (since Marvel can't tell us either way what kind of body she is in. Though many assume Japanese). This of course means all the ridiculousity of the 90s happened, but at least it gives her a new start (in sim at least) whereas in the comics, post Claremont, she's back in the buttfloss, constantly in hand-to-hand. I can rationalize Marvel's "no" to Claremont's desire to put her in her original body (because it makes sense for Jamie to bring her back in it!) by saying that "Jamie was crazy, no reason is really needed." or "It was not possible to put her in her original body" (though if he is able to 'restring' her quantum strings & change her powers.. you'd think..). Anyway it will be kind of a weak backstory/description. But this powerset is not only my favorite, but pretty god-mode proof (from others). People can god mode a telepath's powers away all the time & I don't like that notion.

I've entertained these options rather than the "let's go back to right before she was turned into the cheesecake ninja".

I loved, again, how Claremont wrote her return. The writing was fun & her character was there & obvious & not a single butt shot! The 455-459 On Ice TPB is one of my favorite stories. Also the Uncanny House of M TPB. It makes me love her how she is at that moment since she isn't being used as the strange sex object as she always is. & she returned to that shortly after of course, buttfloss costume & all. Completely out of character.

When she returned her powerset was new & unique. Not the TK, but the immunity to telepathy & other controls. Since she'd been dead we've seen Frost & the Cuckoos, etc, LOTs of telepaths. It was good for her to go through this powerswitch.
Anyway~

So I know the character really well. But what point am I overstepping the bounds? Are "what ifs" out of the question? Urgh


(( I type fast & long & am a geeky kind of person haha. Obviously haha! ))

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers